A Travellerspoint blog

PW 401 Wednesday

sunny 1 °C

Having to get up early for the watch was an interesting experiance. Especially when you consider that wehn I woke up, it felt as if the boat wasnt moving. This is what we discovered when we emerged topside.

The sea, the Irish Sea was flat calm. It was really surreal. It looked as it had all been painted. The sea looked like oil, and had the most amazing huges of blue and pink in them.

Coming up on watch, we had the chance to wittness the sunrise at sea. And it was spectacular. The sun created a puddle on the horizon, and because of atmospheric conditions then split into two orbs or light rising from the horizon. The then seemed to melt together. It was spectacular

Happy Hour came along, and white watch had to do heads and showers. I managed to get out of it by being on the bridge. But dont think for a second I didnt do anything. Nope, when the call came for volunteers to scrub decks I was there. (scrubbing decks is one of my favourite jobs nect to cleaning brass)

The pilot came on board at about 10. Ellen allowed me to helm under pilot orders. I have been wanting to do this since my first trip.
It really very hard. You have to be right on the ball, know and be confident inwhat you are doing. Liam even showed me a new way of helming which is better for manuvering since you can see the responses of the ship quicker.
I was really pleased with myself when the pilot asked for a heading of 147 degrees and I got there without overstearing and stayed EXACTLY on course for a few mins. The pilot even said something. He only said it to see how good I was and commented on how some helmsmen on ships can be 20 degrees off course and wont even bother correcting it. I took that as a pat on the back for me.

I handed it over to Pete the other watch leader who also whanted to steer under pilot. Coming into port is really kinda boring. Nothing much to do
Infact we had come in early so we ended up crusing along way up the mersy estury before turning round and coming through the lock to the west float

Mooring was also a bit of a non event for me. The west float provided their own lines men and white watch didnt really have a job to do.
But, Rob shoed me how to splice a rope together, which was really interesting. In fact I still have it.

Unfortunatly, Liverpool is a bit of a dump. >> EDIT: It has been pointed out that I wasnt actually in Liverpool which is aparently ok, but it is Birkenhead which is a dump<< Especially where we parked... ahem, I mean moored. Wherehouses and factories, and not exactly all in tip top condition.

Also one last chance to climb aloft again. We had to re-stow the sails since they were only sea stowed. (Harbour stowed is neater and better for the sails)

Natalie went up to the royals and took loads of pics. (will put link in as soon as they get loaded onto the net) Meanwhile I was in the chart room with Ian (2nd officer) who was sorting out all the charts and book dealing with American waters. It seems that most of it is toot, and no one will ever bother reading it. Typical Americans. There was even 6 folders containing what seemed to be a tourist guide to American ports.

After dinner we had shore leave. Natalie and I had been asked to do the track sheet. We was gonna leave it till the next morning and do it through happy hour, but dicided to take it with us. Unfortunatly, by the time we had gotten everything, everyone else had left! With a vauge idea of which way the pub was, we set off. 8 mins later we came to the Social Club and the Pool Inn (which is where we found Chris) Neither seemed that inviting, and although we waved at a lot of cabs, none of em stopped. Natz and Matt went into the Pool Inn (which is meant to be really rough) to get directions to the nearest chash point. It was said to be a 2 min walk up the road. Half an hour later and a good couple miles down the road, we came to a petrol station (not the promised shop) Chris and Matt went to get cash from the point and Natz and I went inside to ask directions. As it happened one of the customers said he lived right opposite and would give us a lift (rescuing the damsals in distress, fortunatly we also had our bodyguards with us too.... it was quite a squeeze into his little car)

The Nelson was a really nice pub. Although everyone was a bit dressed up. We met bosun Fliss, which was really nice. Nuckling down to do the track sheet was left to me. We also ended up entering into a pub quiz which Chris was brilliant at.

Although we were the last to leave, we still managed to be the first back to the boat. Very strange.

Posted by PirateDani 06:42 Archived in United Kingdom Tagged boating

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint